ADO v Heracles Almelo

ADO 1-4 Heracles Almelo

The first real winter feel match day at the ADO stadium. The crowd well wrapped up against the elements hoping to see ADO get a vital three points against one of the surprise teams of the season, Heracles Almelo.

Heracles kicked off and ADO immediately set about their opponents, chasing, harrying and getting in to the faces of the Heracles players. Unfortunately this forceful attitude lasted all too short. The visitors began to take control and looked at ease with the play, stroking the ball around, getting the feel of the pitch. ADO players were all too happy to allow the settling in period for the guests.

Seven minutes were played when Heracles took a deserved lead. Antoine van der Linden moved forward toward the centre circle and then played a beautiful ball out wide to the right where Darl Douglas waited on the wing. Quick feet got him some space to play a ball inside to Willy Overtoom. An instant cross followed to the edge of the six yard box where Bas Dost waited unmarked to score with a neat right foot volley. A well deserved lead, 0-1.

The lack luster ADO performance continued, only Verhoek was making any true effort. Always running and making himself available. The amount of times he received the ball on the left wing was a sign of just how available he was making himself, only for his team mates not to move forward and give him some options to attack.

ADO almost went a further goal behind in the fourteenth minute when some casual defensive play lead to a wild misplaced pass by Van den Bergh. Under no pressure Van den Bergh played the ball straight to an open and surprised Dost, finding himself in a one on one situation with Ditewig in the ADO goal. Ditewig stood up to him, making himself big. Dost hesitated before laying the ball to his left; to his team mate Everton Ramos Da Silva. The goal was at his mercy, only for Ditewig to throw himself down to his right making a vital save close to the attackers’ feet.

More inept defending by ADO allowed Heracles to increase their lead. A long kick by Martin Pieckenhagen in the Heracles goal was not dealt with by a panicking ADO defence. The ball ricocheted around the area, no one getting a clean strike on the ball. The ball eventually fell to Da Silva in the area after a chip in from the right. He took one touch to play the ball to his right where the ball was toe poked home by the grateful Dost for his and Hercules’s second, 0-2.

Not until the fortieth minute did ADO threaten the visitors’ goal. Heracles was happy to run the clock down to half time and allowed ADO some free possession. This failure to push on to ADO’s players almost back fired as Bosschaart crossed the ball towards the penalty area. Van den Bergh controlled the ball on his chest and laid the ball back in to the path of the onrushing Immers, whose shot flew high and wide passed the goal.

The half time whistle blew and the ADO players left the pitch to a cacophony of boos and jeers by a very unhappy home support. I can’t imagine the type of ferocious ear bashing the team took from their manager, Atteveld at half time; but the team came out all guns blazing for the second half.

From the whistle ADO upped through the gears and went on the offensive. From a throw in on the right, Heracles failed to deal with the ball. The ball eventually wormed its way through to Verhoek inside the area, a quick pass to his left found van den Bergh. A quick look up and he placed a curling shot just over the bar.

ADO was now in the ascendancy, full of dominance and confidence they poured forward to the full backing of the crowd. In the fifty first minute ADO broke from defence after a hooked clearance from Derijck. The ball headed on by Milic to van den Bergh who played a sublime diagonal ball across the field to Verhoek. A cross came in and was met with a full bloodied header by Buijs, who saw his effort crash of the woodwork.

Fifty five minutes played and ADO was still applying pressure on Heracles. A corner on the right from van den Bergh was again met by an ADO player, only again to see the ball just go over the bar. Derijck was the player that time to hold his head in his hands.

The game took a bit of a breather for fifteen minutes. Heracles was only too happy to soak up ADO possession and keep hold of their two goal advantage. This sit back and hold attitude cost Heracles in the seventy first minute. Buijs unchallenged in midfield had time to survey his options before picking out Verhoek on the left side of midfield. Buijs continued his run and as Verhoek crossed the ball; added to the confusion. His presence causing the Heracles keeper and his defender Mark Looms to panic, resulting in Looms knocking the ball in to his own net, 1-2.

A minute later ADO should have been on level terms. ADO force Heracles to give away a throw in straight from the restart. A long throw from Verhoek deceived the visitors defence and only the ADO player Vicento reacted. Unfortunately his reactions were too quick and he reached the ball just moments before it was at it would have been perfect. The ball ended hitting the side of his head and going to safety, with the goal mouth still gaping wide.

After that scare, Heracles changed their approach to the game and took the fight back to ADO. With ADO now looking dead on their feet, Heracles began to play the ball around amongst themselves. Pieckenhagen launched the ball from his hands up field. The ball cannoned back off a defender to Overtoom. His powerful burst of speed took him clear of the ADO players, as he took control, from nowhere Pique came sliding through him giving away free kick just outside the penalty box. Pique was awarded just a yellow card for his foul. It was clearly a goal scoring opportunity and should have been a red. As the clock moved in to its eighty third minute, three Heracles players lined up to take the free kick. Marko Vejinovic took responsibility and struck the perfect free kick. It was up and over the wall in a split second leaving Ditewig rooted to the spot. The ball right in the top left hand corner, excellent execution and 1-3 to the visitors.

ADO’s heads dropped as did the vocal support. The referees’ assistant showed that two minutes of extra time were to be played. In the ninety second minute, with only seconds remaining, Pieckenhagen kicked the ball long up field. ADO didn’t deal with the bouncing ball and Overtoom raced through between two defenders before calmly slotting the ball between the legs of a helpless Ditewig, 1-4.

The final whistle sounded and Heracles went over to salute their small yet boisterous support. ADO did not leave the pitch to a chorus of boos at the end. The second half performance was a great effort. They had been so close to getting it back all square, but they finally ran out of steam.

This result now sees ADO third from bottom of the league. There is one more game before the winter break. I believe the break will be at the right time to give ADO a chance to regroup and get themselves sorted out again. It is a scenario similar to that of last season; in which they also had a good start to only fade around Christmas. Fingers crossed for a stronger second half to the season!

ADO man of the match: Verhoek, really tried to keep the team going, during the first time the only ADO players giving his all.

Attendance: 11, 679

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *