ADO v FC Utrecht

This was Henk Frasers’ ninth game in charge and was unbeaten in the previous eight. Despite a great run, which would have normally pulled ADO away from any relegation threat, this is proving to be a crazy season as all teams around ADO have also found some form, so again a win was most definitely needed.

The atmosphere was great inside the Kyocera and again the supporters proved their artistic skills as they showed off an amazing new huge banner.

ADO started at a high tempo, a rate they kept up for the full ninety minutes. They were stretching the defence and midfield with ease. After three minutes a scuffle broke out resulting in yellow cards for ADO’s Danny Holla and Utrecht’s Steve de Ridder.

The visitors were unable to get out of their half, frustrations grew as ADO continued to force the game, when the ball did manage to go deep into ADO territory, de Ridder swung his arm wildly catching the head of Vito Wormgoor. Referee Bas Nijhuis gave him a second yellow card and was sent off in the twenty fourth minute. The heads dropped on the Utrecht players, they knew straight away it was going to be a battle they would find hard to win.

Aaron Meijers, Mike van Duinen, Roland Alberg and Mitchell Schet began running rings around an already beaten Utrecht. They chased down and battled for everything as though lives depended on it. The pressure finally paid off in the thirty first minute. A ball down the line looked to be going out so Utrecht defender Mark van der Maarel slowed his pace. Meijers came in, got the ball, played a neat pass inside to Alberg who side footed the ball into the back of the net, 1-0.

Two minutes later only a fantastic save by Robbin Ruiter in the Utrecht goal prevented Michiel Kramer’s flying header hitting the back of the net after a cross on the right from Dion Malone.

In the forty second minute ADO increased their lead, yet again through the fault of the visitors defence. Meijers puts the ball into the danger area. Defender Matthieu Delpierre just kept the ball at his feet, not realizing Kramer was lurking, the ADO forward simply took the ball off his toes, played a short pass to van Duinen who curled the ball low into the far corner 2-0.

The second half was exactly the same as the first. ADO totally dominant, the wingers ran Utrecht ragged, several chances were created, but missed, Kramer passing twice when shooting was the better option.

ADO’s third goal came in the sixty ninth minute; van Duinen raced down the left flank into the penalty area, he tussle with Delpierre ended with both players thinking the ball was going out of play. It didn’t, van Duinen reacted first and played the ball to Schet who had the easiest job of stroking the ball home, three goals, three mistakes from the Utrrcht backline, 3-0.

The crowd were loving it and soon enough were celebrating yet again. This time no error from a defender. In the seventy fifth minute Gino Coutinho, had done nothing all game threw the ball to Meijers, his long pass split the defence and Kramer raced in to make it 4-0.

After such a great performance it was a shame to see ADO lose the clean sheet. Former ADO favourite Jens Toornstra took a corner, the ball came back to him and his high looping cross became a shot as it sailed high over Coutinho into the back of the net, 4-1.

The only disappointing about the day was the attendance, very low indeed considering it was a game of high importance. However, ADO ate not quite mathematically safe from relegation, but in real terms, they will be in the top league once again next season. This was their ninth game without defeat, next up is Ajax away, a day when the Amsterdammers could be crowned champions. It would be great to spoil the party!

 Attendance: 8,500

ADO Men of the Match: Mike van Duinen & Aaron Meijers, can’t split them, both were excellent from first whistle to last.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *