ADO returned to action on Saturday evening after their extended break, due to a waterlogged pitch last weekend. It was hoped that the time between the two games was good enough to allow some sort of improvement in the sides performances after a series of terrible displays.

As it turned out, the performance was better than on earlier outings this season. ADO began strongly as they have done in each game this season, only this time it was sustained for longer periods throughout the game. ADO almost taking the lead in the third minute when debutant Roland Alberg hit the crossbar from long range.

The game was not filled with explosive moments, more a war of attrition which ADO were winning in the midfield. ADO had a few chances to break the deadlock but nothing that caused too much concern to the visiting keeper.

NEC were limited to weak efforts from distance that ADO were happy to deal with. It was only in the final five minutes of the first half that NEC applied some pressure. All shots coming from long range, but they were getting closer with every effort. In the final minute Coutinho had to produce the first real save of the game pushing the ball wide at full stretch after a shot by Jakob Jantscher.

 The half time whistle was greeted by a mix of cheers and boos. I think the boos were due to the fact that ADO really needed to beat NEC as they were the only team below them in the league, and despite controlling the game for long periods there was a stalemate.

ADO started the second half strongly and looked to get at NEC as much as possible. The crowd got behind them. Despite being a small crowd it was full of the hardcore who made themselves heard as ADO upped the tempo.

In the fifty sixth minute ADO got themselves in front. A free kick was hit across from the right, the ball bobbed around and Roland Alberg got control and crossed into the centre of the penalty where the ball was met my a brave diving header from Mathias Gehrt, the ball flying into the back of the net, stunning goal, 1-0.

The home side boosted by the goal pushed forward again and again, yet they could not finish, These wasted chances proved to be costly as in the seventy forth minute NEC drew level. From a corner on the left chaos ensued as the ball bounced around dangerously and ADO could not get clear the area, the ball fell in front of  Christoph Hemlein who had his back to goal, acrobatically he managed to hook the ball backwards into the net, 1-1.

 The rest of the game fizzled out and at the final whistle a sense of relief that ADO had finally gained their first point at home. As they left the pitch the players did not look happy, knowing full well that three points were needed to escape the relegation battle which looks to be looming large. Well the next game will take their mind off league performances as on Tuesday they take on GVVV in the cup, their opponents in the Kyocera stadium to watch the game, wonder if they fear ADO now?

ADO man of the match: Mathias Gehrt

Attendance: 8,100

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *