Feyenoord v ADO

ADO took the short trip to Rotterdam on Sunday afternoon to face Feyenoord in one of Europe’s most famous stadiums, The Kuip. A large vocal support for ADO was in the stadum and made a lot of noise.

 This was a game all ADO fans would like to forget as quick as possible. ADO were outplayed and out fought throughout most of the game. The late withdrawals through injuries to Danny Holla and Vito Woormgoor may have contributed to what happened, but there was a lack of heart in ADO’s efforts. It was too easy for the home side as they chased after every ball ball and were winning it consistently ahead of the visitors.

 Feyenoord’s Graziano Pellè was the thorn in ADO’s side. His movement was great and was well supported by former ADO favourite Lex Immers. Pellè scored in the eighth minute, finishing off a swift move down the left, Coutinho preventing his first effort but could do nothing to prevent the rebound, 1-0.

ADO’s only first opportunity came from a long range free-kick by Ricky van Haaren. His shot skipped off the surface and surprised Feyenoord keeper Erwin Mulder who was lucky to see the ball somehow deflect off his body onto the top of the bar.

Just before the half-time break Feyenoord extended their lead. Pellè was the man who played the ball across the edge of the area for Dutch international Bruno Martins Indi to smash a half-volley into the far corner giving Coutinho no chance, 2-0.

 ADO made a substitution at the beginning of the second half, Michiel Kramer replacing the ineffective Jerson Cabral who had spent the first forty five minutes running into dead ends and giving the ball away. The fans hoped this would make a difference, unfortunately, it didn’t.

The game turned totally in an ten minute spell. Firstly in the fifty fourth minute Pellè got his second goal of the game after ADO lost possession all to easily, 3-0. Then ADO lost their keeper Gino Coutinho who had already in the first half received treatment to his thigh, Martijn de Zwart taking his place. In the sixty fourth minute Feyenoord were inside the ADO penalty area and as ADO’s Aaron Meijers attempted a quick turn he slipped causing his collide with and trip Samuel Armenteros, the hosts awarded a penalty. Pellè was offered the chance to get his hat-trick which he duly did as his kick sent de Zwart the wrong way, 4-0.

Despite the unfolding nightmare the 700 travelling supporters back their team vociferously, so much so that even the home side supporters applauded them, just a shame the players could not live up to their fans beliefs.

The final period of the game saw Feyenoord take the pressure off as they believed they were cruising to an easy victory and three points. However things didn’t turn out so easy for them as the clock ticked down.

In the seventy ninth minute Kramer is hauled down inside the penalty box by Stefan de Vrij, the referee pointed to the spot and it was left to Mike van Duinen to get a consolation goal. Wrong! He blasted the ball over the crossbar, it was going from bad to worse for the team from The Hague.

The golden chance for ADO still did not reawaken Feyenoord and in the eighty fourth minute a pass from Gianni Zuiverloon found Kramer, his shot was saved by Mulder and luckily it fell nicely for van Haaren to stroke the ball into the empty net, 4-1.

ADO made he scoreline look a bit more respectable after a shot from van Haaren was head over his own keeper by Jordy Clasie in the eighty eighth minute, 4-2.

At the final whistle ADO players looked shell shocked, meanwhile their fans were singing and dancing high into the upper sections of the Kuip. At the press conference after the game manager Maurice Steijn could not really defend his players, it was a terrible performance. None of ADO’s players played well, only a few showed any fight for their team, Meijers, Beugelsdijk, van Duinen and Zuiverloon.

ADO man of the match: Gianni Zuiverloon

Attendance: 41, 000

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *