After Tuesday’s shock penalty defeat in the cup at the hands of second division side Almere City, the big question was how would ADO react? Would they play with fear? or would they attempt to exorcise the memory of that night and come out all guns blazing?

ADO did start at pace, they streamed forward immediately putting the visitors onto the back foot. This was what the crows wanted to see and it lifted the fans into some of the best atmosphere this season.

ADO’s first chance came in the eighth minute, strong midfield play saw the ball move central to Thomas Kristensen, a few touch before hitting the ball with power, forcing AZ keeper Sergio Rochet into a good diving save.

ADO dropped off the pace after ten minutes which allowed the visitors to steadily take over charge in the midfield. AZ got their first sight on goal in the twenty first minute when a ball in from the right found Marcus Henriksen, he unleashed a powerful low strike forcing Martin Hansen into a great low save. Two minutes later a long ball from the AZ defence saw Robert Mühren in a one on one with Hansen, The ADO keeper stood up strong and again made a solid start.

ADO reversed the flow of play in the forty third minute. Aaron Meijers on the left wing hit a pinpoint cross towards the AZ penalty box. Michiel Kramer cam running in and made the perfect contact with his head, powering the ball into the back of the net against the run of play, 1-0.

Scoring just before half time is usually the best time to take the lead, sadly for ADO, AZ had time to knock them back and get an equalizer in the final minute of the half. Simon Poulsen got the ball close to the halfway line on the right hand side. He put his head down and raced forward. He went through three ADO defenders, leaving them for dead before firing an unstoppable shot through the hands of Hansen into the back of the ADO goal, super strike, 1-1.

AZ took the lead in the sixty seventh minute. Tyronne Ebuehi was caught with the ball wide on the left touchline. He was under pressure and panicked, his attempted back pass was far too short and lead to a series of missed chances to clear the ball after Hansen had raced off his line. The ball was eventually played out to the right hand side to Mattias Johansson, a couple of touches to get inside the penalty area for smashing the ball high into the roof of the net, another good finish by AZ, 1-2.

AZ had a goal disallowed for a dubious offside before they increased their lead in the eighty second minute. AZ were awarded a free kick 25m away from goal. Nemanja Gudelj lined up the shot before sending the ball up and over the wall and just inside the post, giving Hansen no chance, three great goals in a row from AZ, 1-3.

Only after going 1-3 down did ADO kick back into life. In the eighty fifth minute, Meijers played the ball into Kevin Jansen, a faint touch allowed Roland Alberg some space to poke the ball into the back of the net. It got the crowd roaring as ADO raced back to the centre circle wanting to get on with the game as soon as they could, 2-3.

In the final phase of the game ADO went all out on the offensive. They bombarded the AZ goal with crosses and shots. Jansen and Alberg both came close to securing a draw. After four minjtes of added time, the referee blew the final whistle. ADO players fell to their knees. The fans gave then a good cheer, admiring their fighting spirit until the end.

ADO had to make many changes to the best starting eleven thanks to suspensions and injuries. It is a shame ADO only performed at their best in the first and final ten minutes of the game. For a neutral it was a good game to watch, but ADO need to start picking up points again and soon.

Attendance: 10, 678

ADO man of the Match: Kevin Jansen, his tireless efforts and energy made him the stand out man.

ADO Den Haag: Hansen; Ebuehi (70. Houtkoop), Zuiverloon, Kanon, Meijers ; Malone, Kristensen (38. Alberg), Bakker, Jansen; Kramer, Van Duinen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *