ADO v FC Utrecht

After last weekend’s first away win at Excelsior, ADO knew that a win would see them leap above their visitors and more or less mean they would be safe from the drop, but not mathematically.

The first half was a cagey affair, Utrecht seemed happy to just go home with a point. They stood off ADO and parked the bus in front of the goal. The home sides first shot on goal came after five minutes, a long range shot by Gianni Zuiverloon from 30m out that the Utrecht keeper, Robbin Ruiter found a bit too hot to handle.

ADO were the busier team and Aleksandr Iakovenko was occupying the right side of the Utrecht defence on a regular basis. Goal mouth action was missing, that was until the 18th minute. Utrecht got a free-kick on the right. Ball swung over towards the far post where Timo Letschert got a solid header on target, forcing Martin Hansen to a save at his near post.

Twenty one minutes played and Thomas Kristensen won the ball in midfield. He took a few paces forward before unleashing a powerful shot from 20m out that whistled just by the woodwork, if on target, the keeper would not have stood a chance.

In the forty second minute Utrecht had two chances to score. From a corner on the left, a powerful header from Yassin Ayoub forced a good save from Hansen, the ball was cleared out wide, the ball came back into the ADO area again and this time it was Letschert who had a header saved by Hansen. That was the action for the first half.

ADO started the second half brightly and in the fifty fifth minute produced a very nice counter attack from defence go down the right flank, some nice individual touched which lead to Iakovenko striding ahead of the visiting defenders. He struck a solid shot that had to be turned away well by Ruiter. Very neat play by ADO.

In the seventieth minute Wilson Eduardo came on for Mike van Duinen. The change was a good one by trainer Henk Fraser, as Eduardo’s presence changed the game. In the seventy minute Roland Alberg crossed the ball into the danger area. Eduardo tried a spectacular bicycle kick but missed, Danny Bakker was following up and hit a low shot, defender Willem Janssen blocked the effort with his arm and a penalty was awarded. Club captain Alberg took responsibility. He made a stuttering run up before placing the ball right footed into the left corner, 1-0.

With five minutes remaining ADO doubled their lead. Alberg again the inspiration. This time on the left he played the ball across to substitute Gervane Kastaneer. He controlled the ball and sort of miss hit his shot, yet it was firm enough to go between the legs of the keeper and slowly roll over the line. The players looked shocked as he raced towards the ADO bench to celebrate with Fraser, 2-0.

That was it, game over. In beautiful sunshine, The crowd had yet again been amazing with their “Bring back the passion” call to arms. The players had not let them down and ADO edge closer towards 100% safety. With four games remaining, one more point could see Eredivisie football guaranteed for next season.

Attendance: 10, 102.

ADO man of the match: Roland Alberg, at the centre of all that was good from ADO, a real captains performance.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *