ADO v De Graafschap

On Sunday afternoon ADO Den Haag returned to action after the international break with a game against De Graafschap in the Kyocera stadium, a team that was bottom of the league with only one point to their name.

Straight from the kick-off ADO went on the attack, Mike Havenaar tried to flick the ball home, but had no power to trouble the visiting keeper Hidde Jurjus, but it looked a promising start. However De Graafschap began to push forward and kept ADO at bay, keeping the ADO defence busy, but without really creating any serious danger.

Around the twenty fifth minute mark, ADO were unlucky not to be awarded at least one penalty from three appeals in quick succession. Firstly Havenaar was pulled to the floor, a clear penalty! Seconds later Aaron Meijers was tripped inside the area. A minute later Ruben Schaken crossed into the box, where Havenaar was wrestled to the ground right in front of the referee, Bjorn Kuipers. All three penalty appeals were denied.

On the half hour the visitors took the lead, a great long ball from inside his own half by Ted van der Pavert beat the offside trap. Erik Quekel found himself in loads of space with only Martin Hansen to beat. The forward lost composure and fired in a weak shot that was blocked by the legs of the ADO keeper.

In the forty second minute ADO took the lead. They broke quickly from defence and stormed forward. A series of neat passes saw a shot from Schaken deflected wide for a corner on the left. Edouard Duplan took the kick, the ball headed on by Gianni Zuiverloon. Lurking at the back post was Havenaar who had the easy task of knocking the ball into the back of the net, 1-0.

In the final minute of the first half De Graafschap got back on level terms. They played the ball from wide left to the right side. A hard hit low cross was going nowhere, but unfortunately Zuiverloon attempted to clear the ball but mishit it, the ball whizzing passed a stranded Hansen into the back of the net, 1-1.

The second half saw ADO waste chance after chance. Havenaar was a real thorn in De Graafschap’s side as he bullied their defenders almost in to submission. It was not as though ADO were playing that well, a lot of loose passing and a lack of ideas is what was served up to the fans. Yet the home side saw Danny Bakker, Zuiverloon and Havenaar miss golden opportunities to claim the full three points.

At the final whistle the crowd booed their disapproval of the team’s display. There is much wrong with the side at the moment and it needs sorting out very quickly before yet another fight to avoid relegation sets in.

Attendance: 10,500