ADO v FC Twente

On Friday night ADO took on struggling FC Twente in the Kyocera. The strugglers have huge problems both on and off the pitch. The hope was that with the turmoil at that club, it would make life easier for ADO, who had won at Twente earlier this season with a stunning 1-4 win. The stadium was almost a sell out, many new banners on display as the fans again got behind the team.

The match was full of goal mouth action as ADO played their best all round performance of the season in my opinion. Every players stood up to be counted and went for the throat of Twente from the kick-off and within two minutes they were in front. A cross from the left by Aaron Meijers was met perfectly by the stooping header of Thomas Kristensen that saw the ball nestle in the back of the net, 1-0.

Instead of then resting on a one goal lead, ADO poured forward time and time again, really putting the visitors defence under immense pressure, but Twente were able to ride their luck. From a driving run forward, Ludcinio Marengo hit the cross bar from long range. Meijers ran the defence ragged, twisting and turning and firing a shot just millimetres wide of the far post. Tommie Beugelsdijk then saw an effort hit the cross bar. Then for a third time ADO hit the frame of the goal, a long range thunderbolt by Kristensen hitting the far post. With a minute remaining of the half, Eduardo Duplan got inside the penalty area, one on one with the keeper Nick Marsman, the stopper winning the battle of nerves with a good block.

In forty five minutes, FC Twente had shown nothing, they were out fought, out played and out classed by their hosts, who at times played some superb one touch football. All that was missing was the vital second goal.

ADO and the fans didn’t have to wait for long, in the fifty second minutes Timothy Derijck scored a perfectly placed penalty kick after a cross by Duplan was handled by Bruno Uvini inside the area, 2-0.

ADO remained dominant in possession, keeping the visitors at bay with a passion rarely seen this season. Marengo also got on the scoresheet just missing the post after a cross from the ever willing Duplan. All this effort and energy was recognised by the supporters who were really backing the team vocally.

FC Twente finally put a move together that threatened the ADO goal in the seventy third minute, from a cross a powerful close range header was saved with cat like reflexes by Martin Hansen. Then Twente worked the ball really well, the ball coming out to Thomas Agyepong near the penalty spot, his low shot was well saved at full stretch by Hansen, pushing the ball onto the post.

In the eightieth minute Twente scored and it was a rwal beauty. A long ball from inside their own half found the sprinting Hakim Ziyech. One touch to control the ball, before smashing it left footed into the back of the net, giving Hansen no chance, an excellent strike, 2-1.

Time then ran down with no more real drama. The final whistle was greeted with a huge roar of appreciation from the fans in the stands. The players also knew they had all performed, their smiles illuminating the stadium as they did a lap of honour. At the post match press conference, manager Henk Fraser kept it very short saying he was so please with the energy his players showed and that there were so many great performances. A great game and a great result.

Attendance: 13,128