ADO v Heracles Almelo

ADO returned to action on Sunday afternoon after the International break. A break that was needed to rebuild after the heavy defeat and poor performance at Ajax two weeks ago.

The game saw ADO have much of the possession, they started strong and full of fire. There was anger inside them as a few of the ADO players seemed to be looking for confrontations with the players of Heracles, good to see that.

The home side were getting a few sights on goal, mainly due to the work of Aaron Meijers down the left wing and Ruben Schaken down the right. Great chances fell to Gianni Zuiverloon and Mike Havenaar. It was looking as though this could be ADO’s day.

Heracles had two chances. A header that flashed wide of the post, a second was when they broke ADO’s off-side trap and Wout Weghorst faced ADO keeper Martin Hansen in a one on one situation. Hansen won the battle of nerves making a great block.

Then in the space of thirty seconds, the game changes. In the thirty eighth minute Schaken crossed from the right, Havenaar flung himself full length to send a flying header into the back of the net. The referee, Jeroen Manschot ruled the goal out for a foul by the ADO forward on his marker Mike te Wierik. Heracles took the free-kick quickly, the ball was hit long, a cross came over and Weghorst headed the ball home, 0-1.

In the second half ADO still had more of the play, yet the ideas seemed to run out. The crossing got worse as did the passing, the fight looked to be draining from them.

Despite dropping down a couple of levels, ADO did have some great chances. A close range volley by Roland Alberg was brilliantly saved by Bram Castro in the Heracles goal. Edouard Duplan then forced another full stretch save out of Castro. Danny Bakker also saw a header hit the crossbar. ADO were just having no luck, I think if they played for five hours they would not have scored.

In the eighty seventh minute ADO were robbed of a clear cut penalty. The ball was played inside the penalty, Alberg had space, he cut inside and as he did so, Robin Gosens took away his standing foot, a 100% penalty, yet to everyone’s amazement, the referee waved play on and accused Alberg of diving.

In injury time it was the Martin Hansen show. Firstly ADO were awarded a free-kick 30m away from goal. Much to the surprise of the fans, Hansen lined up the free-kick, his effort was struck with power but too high. Then in the final seconds Hansen was at his best as another one on one, this time with Oussama Tannane, saw the keeper keep his nerve, stay on his feet and force the Heracles winger too wide to score.

So that was ADO’s first home defeat of the season. They should have got at least a point from the game, yet due to missed chances and dodgy refereeing decisions, they ended up with nothing.

Attendance: 10,071