ADO v Vitesse

After the International break, ADO Den Haag returned to action with a home game against Vitesse Arnhem. Before kick-off the teams stood in the centre circle for a minutes silence in honour of the victims of the Paris terror attacks, it was immaculately observed. The scored boards showing the French flag, also fans had made a few flags as they showed their support.

The game began with Vitesse on the attack and dominating for long periods. They soon got themselves in front. In the seventh minute a looped pass found Sheran Yeini who used his chest to control the ball before turning the defender and hitting the back of the net, 0-1.

The home side were playing too many passes backwards, taking short corners, Mike Havenaar was getting frustrated at his lack of decent balls into the danger area. In the fifteenth minute he got his chance. ADO pressed forward and eventually a great through ball by Vito Wormgoor split the Vitesse backline. As Havenaar raced in he tried to chip the keeper at full stretch, only for Eloy Room in the Vitesse goal to pull off a good save.

ADO’s flying winger Ruben Schaken began to get more into the game as he raced down the right flank. He set up chances for Kenji Gorré and Havenaar. Then in the thirty third minute he got a reward for his hard work. Vitesse played a suicidal ball into the centre of the pitch, nobody near the centre circle. Schaken got the ball first and ran at goal, from just inside the area he hit his shot across the keeper and the ball crept inside the post, 1-1.

Just four minutes later Vitesse were back in front. Danny Bakker got himself a yellow card as he managed to accidently kick a player in the face. From the resulting free-kick, the ball was whipped across the area where Kelvin Leerdam found plenty of space inside the danger area and his free header hit the back of the net, 1-2.

The second half began well for ADO, in much more of an attacking frame of mind. ADO got themselves back on level terms in the fifty first minute. Havenaar was trying to position himself to head a crossed ball, only for Leerdam to turn and pull him to the ground. Referee Bas Nijhuis looked to have no interest in awarding a foul, his assistant though had seen it and informed his colleague that is was a penalty. After a minute of complaining Timothy Derijck placed the ball on the spot before sending the keeper the wrong way with a perfectly executed penalty kick, 2-2.

The rest of the game was entertaining as both teams had great chances to snatch the three points. A long range rocket of a shot by Maikelvan der Werff flew just centimetres over the bar. Derijck had a free header that went straight at the keeper. The visitors went close again with five minutes remaining, a great flying header by Denys Ollinyk that went just wide of the upright. The last kick-off the game was when Roland Alberg to hit a free-kick from thirty metres out, sadly it flew way over the bar and into the fans.

So another draw for ADO, their seventh of the season. But they are not losing many, this now five games in a row without defeat. The result was a fair one, lots of chances, no team deserved to lose this one in all honesty.

Attendance: 12,133