ADO v NEC Nijmegen

After two draws in a row, ADO Den Haag finally went one step further and got their first win of 2017, a game which was not good for the faint hearted. ADO still at the bottom of the league table before kick-off were desperate to get the three points.

ADO looked hesitant to push forward despite controlling the midfield in the opening stages. Far too many times when a first time cross into the box or a ball forward was wasted when available and not taken. Frustration grew from the ADO supporters as they saw the players constantly playing the ball square instead of hurting the opposition.

These missed opportunities were almost to be paid for as NEC began to edge forward and create chances, forcing man of the match, keeper Robert Zwinkels into some very good saves. ADO were also thankful for some great blocks by the defenders and also ADO got away with one after a  Mohamed Rayhi hit the crossbar in the thirty fourth minute.

The second half was great to watch, direct from the kick-off NEC pushed forward and saw a wayward shot fly wide after ten seconds. ADO then returned immediately to the other end. Eduard Duplan was flying and was working brilliantly with captain Aaron Meijers. Duplan’s trickery getting him inside the area and forcing Joris Delle in the Nijmegen goal to save low at his near post.

Twice NEC threatened to break the deadlock. Some of their direct play got them in sight of goal, both Rayhi and Ali Messaoud forced Zwinkels into full length saves. The tension in the stadium was palpable. Finger nails being bitten, but ADO grew in spirit as the crowd began to get more vocal. Three chances in succession fell to Duplan and Dion Malone, but the best fell to Tom Trybull in the fifty fifth, he twisted well to hook a volley over his shoulder, only to see the NEC keeper in the right place to save it.

In the seventy second minute the Kyocera stadium almost came off. Meijers was felled on the left wing. Ruben Schaken floated in the perfect cross for Mike Havenaar to get in front of his marker and bullet a header into the back of the net. His first goal since 28th August. The strikers fell to his knees with tears in his eyes, relief at getting back on the score sheet, 1-0.

Just after going behind, NEC’s Julian von Haacke went on a fantastic run, straight through the middle of ADO’s defence. His final effort was good, forcing Zwinkels into yet another good save, tipping the ball over the bar.

Malone was causing problems down the right flank for NEC and in the Eighty fifth minute earned a free-kick. Donny Gorter took the kick and Havenaar missed making a contact by millimeters.

That was the end of the action, the whistle blew and players, staff and fans went crazy.

Attendance: 10,256