Saturday night saw ADO Den Haag try to claim their fourth straight win. The home side taking on one of Holland’s most famous club, PSV Eindhoven. ADO’s relegation threat has lessened over the last few weeks, so most were hoping to claim just another point and a point they got!

The first half was a boring spectacle, both sides looked as though they lacked the motivation to push forward and go for goal. Yet in the seventh minute PSV broke the deadlock. Santiago Arias and Marco van Ginkel combined a nice one two to get the ball into the danger area. Siem de Jong then brilliantly found Davy Pröpper, his quick feet left the ADO defence like statues before slamming the ball into the back of the net, 0-1.

The game still didn’t really come to life. ADO were trying to come down the wings, but all crosses were misdirected or put into touch. PSV were the better side, they were walking the ball forward and in the twenty fifth minute almost doubled their lead. Gaston Pereiro crossed the ball in from the left, Jurgen Locadia was totally unmarked on the penalty, thankfully his header went straight into the arms of Robert Zwinkels, who then gave his defenders a real telling off.

ADO’s first chance didn’t come until the thirty sixth minute. The home side passed well down the right flank. Sheraldo Becker floated a cross towards the far post. Mike Havenaar out jumped his marker, only for him to see his effort just pass the post.

The break was needed, as ADO needed waking up. The trainer Fons Groenendijk must have some harsh words for his players because they came out for the second ha;f looking look a totally different team. The fans saw this and the volume of support went up as they urged ADO on.

ADO looked the stronger side and in the fifty second minute had the ball in the back of the net. Tyronne Ebuehi fed Becker, his low cross from the right beat Eduard Duplan by millimeters, yet Havenaar was just behind and headed the ball home. A few seconds of joyous celebrations were halted by the linesman’s flag. Havenaar rightly being flagged for offside.

Fifty five minutes and Havenaar went close again. A great ball into the box by Becker was met by the Japanese striker, but his effort was weak and the ball went into Jeroen Zoet’s hands, when the goal was gaping.

PSV had an effort from distance by Pröpper well saved by Zwinkels, diving low to his left. The visitors started to pick up and Arias had a golden opportunity to extend PSV’s lead, but from a tight angle he hit the side netting.

In the seventy fifth minute they should have ended ADO’s hopes of a draw. Luuk de Jong split ADO wide open, Siem de Jong was free, one on one with Zwinkels. The keeper stood tall and de Jong smashed a shot high over the bar. Seconds later Zwinkels was in action again, another good save denying Arias.

Eighty seven minutes played and the stadium erupted. A corner on the right was defended awkwardly by PSV, the ball falling twenty two meters from goal. Captain, Aaron Meijers fired in a rocket of a shot which was superbly saved by Zoet. The rebound fell at a nice height for Havenaar who headed the ball home, a goal he deserved, 1-1. The emotion around the whole stadium was electric.

The final minute saw PSV with one final chance, a blood and guts long range strike by the captain Andres Guardado flew like an arrow, thankfully into Zwinkels safe hands. ADO then played the clock down until referee Bas Nijhuis blew for full time.

A great result which could have been better if ADO had taken their chances, but that is being greedy. Now ten points from last four games. The fight for Eredivisie survival goes on as other teams in and around the drop zone are also still picking up points.

Attendance: 13,094