ADO v Telstar (Cup)

Tuesday night in the Kyocera stadium, a rare event happened. ADO Den Haag played a Beker(Cup) match at home. The first time since the 28th January 2009 when they lost 1-5 to FC Twente. Since then they had been drawn to play away twelve times in a row.

A small crowd gathered in the stadium to watch ADO. The noise from the Midden Noord was great, but due to the performance on the pitch by ADO, the atmosphere changed from a party to one of anger and despair. After a decent performance at Roda, a good performance against a lower league was expected, yet ADO made hard work of it.

ADO dominated the whole game, but despite their superiority they could not fashion many clear cut chances. They attacked in waves, yet the final ball was always missing. It was not a case of counter attack, but of panic attack at times. The ball played long, a few touches, then either ADO misplaced a pass, or was intercepted by a hard working Telstar defence. There seemed to be no plan of attack.

ADO were creating so much space, but couldn’t get near a goal. The pressure wasted and the home side were made to suffer. With six minutes remaining of the half, Telstar broke down the right. The ball played across the area, Stefano Lilipaly took a touch to lift the ball back across the box to find Denis Mahmudov, who had the easiest of opportunities to head home past Robert Zwinkels, 0-1.

The opening period of the second half saw Telstar in the ascendancy. Twice going close. The ADO fans had by now seen enough and were getting at the team with screams of “Shame” etc. ADO eventually made substitutions and things began to change. Eduardo Duplan started to make a huge difference, as did Dennis van der Heijden. Yet still the final killer pass was missing. Frustration was growing around the stadium.

In the seventy fourth minute ADO made the break through that their possession deserved. A high ball bounced inside the Telstar area, inadvertently landing at the feet of Duplan, a short pass found the much recently criticized Mike Havenaar who buried the chance to make it 1-1.

Backed by a now boisterous crowd, ADO went on the all out attack. This is what the fans wanted to see, fight and passion, and in the eighty first minute got themselves in front. Ludcinio Marengo raced down the left flank, clipped the ball into the penalty box. van der Heijden rose high and headed the ball inside the post, a clinical finish and 2-1.

ADO dominated the final ten minutes, only once did Telstar get a sniff of goal. ADO showed their better side, pushing forward, battling, going for the third killer goal. Telstar frustration built up and in the final minute a huge melee erupted, but was quickly calmed down.

The final whistle blew, the stadium was rocking, the players enjoyed their adulation in front of the supporters. Not the best of games, a lack of directness was missing, but they won, and for the first time since the 2008/2009 season, ADO had reached the last sixteen of the cup. The draw will be made on Thursday night and the game will be played on the 13th, 14th or 15th of December.