ADO v Willem II

ADO Den Haag seem to be in turmoil away from the pitch more than ever. Many reports of arguments within the club hierarchy. This along with the team’s performances on the pitch are not making the fans happy at all, so Saturday’s game was a chance to lift the spirits of the club and its supporters.

The game gave the fans everything they wanted to see. They saw a team with many changes offer up a display of fight, passion and drive. Every player was up for the match. Hard tackling, pressing, it’s what has been missing for far too long. The supporters saw this and backed them with songs and cheers throughout the ninety minutes.

The game wasn’t action packed with goal mouth action, chances were at a premium, but it didn’t matter, as fans could see the team trying! ADO started brightly and in the fourth minute Ruben Schaken chased down a back bass, the challenge knocked the ball to Mike Havenaar, his quick reaction saw a shot clip the top of the crossbar.

In the twenty fifth minute a huge blow for ADO Den Haag. Kevin Jansen was involved in a challenge with Funso Kink Ojo. There didn’t look to be too much contact, but it left Jansen in agony. After long treatment, he returned to action for another minute, before landing heavily after a header and crumpling to the floor. This time a stretcher was called for and he was taken off the field. Looks like it could be a serious problem, we wait for news and keep fingers crossed.

That was it for the first half, ADO certainly on top with possession, but needed to make it count and in the fifty fifth minute, they did make it count. The hard working Schaken earned a corner. The kick was floated over to be met by the towering figure of Tommie Beugelsdijk who powerfully placed his header into the back of the net. A great way for him to celebrate his one hundredth appearance in ADO colours, 1-0.

ADO by now were completely dominant. Sixty three minutes in and ADO broke up a Willem II move inside their own half, some great play soon found Dennis van der Heijden, his first time shot forcing a save from Kostas Lamprou.

In the final minutes, ADO worked a good move down the right flank, Edouard Duplan collected the ball, cut inside, played a one-two before again forcing Lamprou into a good save.

The whistle blew after five minutes of added time and you could clearly see the relief on the faces of all those involved with ADO Den Haag. ADO were good, Willem II didn’t even get close to threatening ADO’s goal. Hopefully they can reproduce this kind of form after the international break when they travel to Groningen on 19th November.