FC Twente V ADO

ADO Den Haag were once again on their travels on Saturday, a trip to FC Twente in Enschede was the club’s fourth away game from six so far this season. Despite last weekend’s defeat at league leaders Feyenoord, ADO still went into this game full of confidence.

ADO were caught out on a bad night in the Grolsch Veste stadium. It is not that Twente were great, it was that ADO had nothing in their locker to counteract whatever the home side wanted to do. ADO were second to the ball, lost out in fifty-fifty challenges and wasted so many free-kicks and corners. The passing was not accurate enough. The simple fact was, Twente did not have to be at their best to beat ADO.

The home side were fast, their young talent tearing through the ADO midfield and defence as though they were not there at times. Thankfully for ADO’s sake, Twente’s youthful exuberance meant once they got close to goal they too wasted chances, missing out on the killer ball.

In the twelfth minute Twente were awarded a free-kick 25m from goal. Enes Ünal took a long run up and blasted the ball just inside the right hand post, leaving Ernestas Setkus grasping at air, 1-0.

ADO didn’t get forward much, but in the eighteenth minute Ludcinio Marengo made a short burst into enemy territory before taking a shot that needed saving by Nick Marsman in the home team’s goal.

Twente were making some great passing movements in and around the ADO penalty area, always looking a threat and in the thirty sixth minute ADO were punished again. Kamohelo Mokotjo got to the touch line, his cross was perfectly placed for Ünal to simply direct a decent header into the back of the net, 2-0.

After the break ADO came out with a bit more fight, coach Zeljko Petrovic must have read the riot act to his players after the first half display. Yet in the fifty fourth minute ADO conceded again. Twente broke forward, Fredrik Jensen found himself one on one with Setkus, the ADO keeper lucky not to give away a penalty, the ball instead came across to Bersant Celina whose first effort was blocked by Tommie Beugelsdijk on the goal line, the ball went back to Celina who at the second attempt smashed the ball into the goal, 3-0.

After going three goals up, Twente played with more freedom, they attacked and attacked at pace, ADO were totally on the back foot, they could not halt the red tide. The hosts were not taking their chances and in the eighty eighth minute ADO managed a counter attack, Ruben Schaken raced down the right wing before his cross was met with a great diving header by Kevin Jansen, 3-1.

The goal scoring was not over. In the final minute Twente broke forward again. Jari Oosterwijk found himself in lots of space to the left of ADO’s penalty area, his shot hit the post and rebounded out to the edge of the area to where Mokotjo was waiting to hammer the ball into the net, 4-1.

That was it, game over. A bad day at the office for all at ADO. Nobody covered themselves in glory. Next up is the cup game at NEC Nijmegen on Wednesday night.

Attendance: 24,100