Saturday night ADO Den Haag were again on their travels after last weekend’s defeat at FC Groningen, this time they faced the difficult task of facing PSV in Eindhoven.

ADO came away from the game with no points, PSV winning 3-1. From the start, ADO tried to contain their hosts, but it always looked shaky. ADO in their dark green third choice kit tried to catch PSV on the break, but never threatened to breakthrough.

PSV took the lead in the eleventh minute from the penalty spot. Gaston Pereiro was judged to have been fouled by a combination of Tyronne Ebuehi and Thomas Meissner in the penalty area. Pereiro took the spot kick himself, sending Ernesto Setkus the wrong way, 1-0.

The rest of the first half was quite dull, only other action of note came in the forty third minute when PSV broke forward, a a cross from the left was almost nodded home by Bart Ramselaar using the back of his head, the ball looped over Setkus and just over the bar.

The second half was much better, PSV came looking to finish ADO off and were soon in a commanding lead. The fiftieth minute and PSV got a corner on the right taken by Oleksandr Zinchenko. His cross was whipped in low towards the near post, a brave diving header by Luuk de Jong put the ball into the back of the net, 2-0.

Fifty five minutes played and PSV scored again. A break down the right by Zinchenko saw him combine again with de Jong. His pass was accurate and the PSV striker neatly flicked the ball home past the ADO keeper, a good finish, 3-0.

It all looked hopeless for ADO, but that soon changed, as in the fifty seventh minute. A long ball forward found Gervane Kastaneer in space to run at goal. He tried to go around Jeroen Zoet in the PSV goal, but was blocked. Referee Bjorn Kuipers had the simple decision to award a penalty. Captain Tommie Beugelsdijk to responsibility and calmly fired the ball home, 3-1.

PSV should have been awarded a penalty in the sixty ninth minute. From inside the area, Luciano Narsingh volleyed the ball with power, Ebuehi was on the line, stood his ground and blocked the shot, however the ball struck his hands, couldn’t blame him as the ball was moving fast and aiming towards his softer body area. Kuipers waved the claims away, a let off for the visitors.

ADO were doing their best to get back into the game, good to see their heads not dropping and giving up. In the seventy seventh minute, they came so close to making it 3-2. Ebuehi crossed in from the right. Mike Havenaar rose high above the defence, his header hitting the inside of the post and the ball was almost knocked over the line by the keeper. So close.

As they game came to an end, it was ADO still pushing forward. Ludcinio Marengo going close as his effort hit the outside of the net. Yes ADO lost, the first half they looked unsure of their tactics. The second half, despite being three goals saw ADO never giving up and showing some spirit, something which had been lacking of late. A glimmer of light perhaps. We can only hope so.

Attendance: 32,700